Whether you plan to go on your Disney vacation by plane, train or automobile, it can be challenging to find the most economical way to get to your destination. The volunteers at DisneyMagic.ca have done some research to help you keep the money where it should be, in your wallet.
At Walt Disney World the transportation from the airport to your hotel is something you'll have to arrange yourself, unless you purchase a package through a travel agent that includes transfers.
Several options for getting from the Orlando Airport to Disney World include: Taxi, Shuttle Service, Private Town Car, Rental Car, Happy Limo, and Disney's Magical Express.
Disney’s Magical Express
As of May 5, 2005, this bus service running between Orlando International Airport and Walt Disney World hotels became available to guests. You check your luggage at your hometown airport, bypass baggage claim at Orlando International Airport and board motor coaches to the Walt Disney World Resort; your bags “magically” appear in the room upon check in. The round-trip transportation and luggage delivery to your room is complimentary.
How Disney's Magical Express service works:
- Disney's Magical Express must be booked at least 10 days prior to arrival through disneyworld.com, Disney Reservation Center by calling 407-W-DISNEY or a travel agent beginning Jan. 2, 2005.
- About two weeks prior to your departure date, you should receive a booklet containing your reservation confirmation, transportation vouchers and special Magical Express luggage tags.
- Check in your specially-tagged luggage at their departure airport. When you fly in to Orlando, it doesn't matter which airline you're on.
- Upon arrival in Orlando, follow the signs to the Magical Express Welcome Center. The Cast Members will greet you and direct you to one of the five correct Resort queues. Bus routes generally serve more than one resort.
- You then wait in line to board state-of-the-art motor coaches that take you to your Disney hotel. The queuing area for waiting holds up to 700 guests. Lines move very quickly. On weekdays guests can move through as quickly at ten minutes; on weekends, it may take upwards to 30 minutes to board the motor coaches.
- Behind the scenes, a team of Disney representatives at the airport will pick up your luggage marked with the special tags and transport it to the hotel room.
- If you are flying out with any ‘participating’ airline you can avoid airport check-in lines on domestic flights by checking your luggage and receive a boarding pass before ever departing your Disney hotel. Airlines are: American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Song, United Airlines or Ted. Pickup from your Disney hotel returning to the airport will be made 3.5 hours prior to your flight time.
- This service is available for Disney Vacation Club Members. Disney's Magical Express service is not available to guests of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotels, Shades of Green, or the seven hotels near Hotel Plaza Boulevard.
Outside the baggage handling area is the Taxi service. Cabs and vans arrive and take guests as they come in, so no telling what company you will get. Groups of 4 or more may get a taxi van.
The fare will be approximately $8 to $55, plus tip to the Resort. To US192 Maingate area is will be about $50. The International Drive or downtown Orlando, expect to pay about $40.
Rental cars are another option for ground transportation in Orlando. At the Orlando International Airport you will find companies both onsite and off (courtesy shuttle ride available). At the airport itself you will find National, Alamo, Dollar, Avis, L&M, Budget, Dollar, and Hertz. At Walt Disney World you will find 2 locations for National/Alamo - one at the Car Care Center near the Magic Kingdom. The other one is off the main lobby in the Dolphin hotel.
Luxury Sedan, limo and Van**
Similar to the taxi service, town-car service will transport you directly from the airport to the hotel. For Walt Disney World vacations, if you have a party of 4 or more, private luxury sedan or limo service is often a better deal than taking a shuttle and much faster and more comfortable. Generally speaking the driver meets you at baggage claim, assists you with your luggage, and takes you straight to your hotel. It really gets your vacation off to a great start.
Luxury sedan service (Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac DeVille with a capacity of 4 adults) from Orlando International Airport (MCO) to Disney World area hotels will cost you about $95-$100 round trip, plus any applicable fees Tiffany Towncar Service provides prompt, clean service. They even offer a free stop at a Publix supermarket en route to your hotel. Check out their website for a coupon worth $5 off a round trip (valid with online reservations only). Quicksilver Tours & Transportation offers ten-person limos and vans in addition to town cars. Rates for a round-trip range from $110 to $115 depending on the location. Like Tiffany, Quicksilver throws in a stop at the supermarket en route.
A private van, which can carry up to 10 adults, costs around $110-$120 round trip, plus any applicable fees
A stretch limo, which can handle up to 8 adults, will run you about $175-$180, plus gratuity and any applicable fees
There are a lot of limo companies in the Orlando area. Happy Limo and comes highly recommended. Its reservations center is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so you won't have problems reaching someone, and the nice folks at Happy Limo are very responsive to e-mail inquiries. You can even book your limo or van online through a secure server.
If you request it in advance, Happy Limo will make a free 15 minute stop at a grocery store on the way to your hotel so you can pick up a few things. They will even give you a number to fax the supermarket in advance with your list, so that you can just pop in and pick it up. (A grocery stop will not be offered if your flight is 30 minutes late or early). Happy Limo also offers some specialty vehicles:
They now offer large SUVs (capacity 7 adults) at about $135-$145 roundtrip from MCO to the Walt Disney World resorts, plus gratuity and any applicable fees
They also have the longest stretch H-2 Hummer limousine in Orlando! The exotic Hummer offers 2 flat screen TVs, 2 sub-woofers, dance floor, DVD, 3 a/c units, 2 lasers, strobe lights & much more. Wild! Rates for the Hummer from MCO to the Walt Disney World resorts start at $275 one-way or $550 roundtrip (plus gratuity and any applicable fees), but this vehicle can transport up to 20 passengers comfortably. If you have a big group, the per-person rate isn't bad at all; and hey, you can say you've ridden a Hummer!
They also have 14 passenger SUV Excursion stretch limos. A transfer in this vehicle from MCO to the Walt Disney World Resorts costs about $320.00-$340.00 roundtrip plus gratuity and any applicable fees
The newest addition to the Happy Limo fleet is the one and only 14 passenger Navigator stretch limousine, which from MCO to the Walt Disney World Resorts will cost you about $360.00-$380.00 roundtrip plus gratuity and any applicable fees
Mears Motor Transportation Service Shuttle**
The shuttle will either be a van or bus and will take passengers to the Disney World Resort hotels. The shuttle collects passengers until the van is full with guests headed for different Disney hotels - so be prepared for a non-direct journey. You will, however, be taken to the hotel you are staying at. You will need to make reservations for your return trip. Again, because the van/bus may go to several hotels, you will need to allow sufficient time to get to the airport. This will be approximately $29 per adult/roundtrip and $21 per Child Ages 4-11.
You can visit their website at https://secure.mearstransportation.com/
Mears Shuttle Booth Locations:
Baggage Claim Level ‘A’ Terminal - Exit through the doors in front of baggage claim carousel #6
Baggage Claim Level ‘B’ Terminal - Exit through the doors in front of baggage claim carousel #6 OR baggage claim carousel #12. They do take credit cards.
The Mears phone number is: (407) 423-5566. Be sure to make your return reservations at least 24 hours in advance
** The purpose of this page is to act as a guideline, prices are subject to change and the site administrator/staff at DisneyMagic.ca can not be held responsible for pricing changes.